Saturday, March 26, 2011

Day +12 (3/26/11)

As of today, I no longer have to have my IV antibiotics (neutrophil count is high enough), and I am down to 2 pills a day (anti-virals) instead of 5!

Also, I no longer have to measure every liquid that enters and leaves my body! (my electrolyte counts are up and stable) Yes, I have had to measure every drop of water I drink and every drop that comes out the other end for the last 19 days. Every. Drop. I wouldn't say that I ever got used to it, but you do what you have to do. Goodness. I'm really appreciating the little things, every little ounce of freedom I regain.

In other news, my WBC rose for the 5th day in a row! It was 2.0 yesterday, and today it was 3.5! Very cool. Thank you, Neupogen. All of my other counts were on their way up as well- potassium, magnesium, red blood cells, and most excitingly, platelets. I may never need another transfusion, if this keeps up. By the way, all of this means I have officially "engrafted"! YEAH! My stem cells like me, they really like me!

...and that was when my nurse came in and told me that all of my counts would go down again before they went up one final time on their own. Here I was thinking I might be out of here by Monday, and she shook her head and said she wouldn't be surprised if it was another "week or so." Goodness. I appreciate her honesty and experience, but I was a bit deflated. Dang, you know?

Well, I knew this wasn't going to be quick or easy. I signed up to be killed and rebuilt, for god's sake. I guess I was just getting antsy. When it's cold like this I can't even go on walks, and since I can't be around groups of people, indoor public places are kind of a no-no right now. So I stay in my room where I don't have to wear my mask and lay in bed. A LOT. I read. I watch cartoons and movies. But when it comes right down to it, I'm a people person. I love parties and get-togethers and live music shows and gatherings. I love connecting with new people. I love conversation and social interaction. And God, I miss my friends.

But I'm staying positive. I plan on blowing their minds and exceeding expectations.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! Good news is always good to hear. Too bad you can't get out of there sooner. Your. Day. Will. Come. :) Keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Sara!! Keep living strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful to hear of all your progress, Sara! You are truly amazing! We want to hear more and more good reports ahead, and to hear that you will soon be able to head home! Also hoping for some nice warm weather for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara,

    That is great news about your WBC count. This is my normal WBC count because I am immunosurpressed. I do fine when I get a cold or most other common infections. This is not to say you shouldn't be cautious but just letting you know that your body is well into the self-defense mode.

    I understand your "cabin fever." After awhile, you start to go crazy with nothing to do that involves people, the great outdoors or physical activity.

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are sleeping soundly by now. May God continue to bless you.

    ReplyDelete