Monday, April 4, 2011

Day +21 (4/4/11)

An update for all you patient folks out there.

I was officially discharged back to Topeka on Wednesday last week (day +16, which is pretty damn early) and I had my trifusion catheter yanked last Friday. The hole in my chest is healing beautifully, which makes me think that my blood counts are rising.

I feel pretty good, all things considered. Being home makes such a huge difference. Having a whole house to be isolated in instead of a small room in an unfamiliar place has given me strength and energy that I didn't know I could have. Hope Lodge was an absolute blessing, and I'm so SO glad this ordeal wasn't inpatient. But it's good to be back.

There are still restrictions to follow. Neutropenic diet until +30 days post-transplant, no public places until the end of April (respiratory viruses floating around), no drinking alcohol for 3 months, limited sun exposure, no swimming for 9-12 months.

But I can go outside without a hospital mask on. I can feel the breeze on my face and smell springtime in Kansas. I can go to friends houses as long as there isn't a crowd of people or animal feces laying around. Life is good.


I have bloodwork and a doctor visit here in town at St. Francis tomorrow. I'm excited to see how much my blood counts have risen. A bit nervous about the possibility that they haven't.

7 comments:

  1. You and your counts are in my thoughts daily! We'll see if we can get some of that warm air back for you.
    Donna Kirk-Swaffar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard you got to set outside and enjoy the storm Sunday night on the porch. It is great to know you are getting you life back again. Really am happy for you Sara Warrior! Welcome back on your journey of life the 2nd time around! GaryL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Gary! Once I'm allowed in public again, I would love to grab a cup of java and have a chat! Plus, I'm in dire need of a Gary hug! Anyhoo, I think about you often. Thank you so much for your positivity and support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara,
    I have never been to PT's coffee but we mail order at least monthly and LOVE the beans! I saw "Benefit for Sara" on the webpage and read the blog. I can tell you are a very strong and creative person that can win this fight. We are thinking of you in New Mexico with high hopes to travel to Kansas someday for you to make us a latte!

    ReplyDelete
  5. from one of your little fairies-

    Sara, i <3 you and your amazingly positive/fantastic outlook! you are an inspiration to me, and most definitely to numerous others!

    had lunch with your lovely sister last-last-saturday. when you're feeling up to it, i think we need to have a lunch date as well!

    ps. are there restrictions re: new inkwork? just curious.

    <3 james

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara,

    I am pleased to learn that you are home. I understand just how you feel. I am so looking forward to seeing your smiling face again.

    I apologize for the late response. My son and I had to fight a major grass fire at our ranch that spread from a neighbor's "controlled burn." You can check out the story on facebook or I can tell you in person when I see you next. The bottom line is numerous fence posts were burned and 660 feet of fence needs to be rebuilt. I spent a week doing damage control.

    I would like to get in the hug line too :) Hugs transfer such wonderful energy.

    Congratulations on all that you accomplished with such a positive attitude.

    Let me know when you are ready to come visit the bison. By the end of May, most of the calves will be born. You will really love the ranch.

    God Bless You,

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara,

    I would love the read how you are doing now. Would you mind posting an update?

    The bison calves will be born soon :)!

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete