Monday, March 7, 2011

Day -7 / Chemo 1 of 5 (3/7/11)

Good morning, friends.

In the last few weeks, things have proceeded beautifully for the most part. Hurdles have been jumped. Maybe not with ease, and not without fear, but thanks to the support of the wonderful people in my life and the faith they've given me in myself, there has been nothing so far that I can't conquer.

The first hurdle of the transplant process was the Neupogen shots. For those of you that have been following along, you know that I was a bit apprehensive because of a past experience involving excruciating pain with this particular medicine. For four days straight, I received double doses in the form of injections into my belly. I didn't have any pain that some Tylenol couldn't dull. Hurdle jumped. Bring on the next.

The second big event was the placement of my Trifusion catheter. Surgery while awake and drugged, tubes hanging out of my chest until April. Entered surgery calm, woke calm. I was shoving dumplings down my throat by evening. Hurdle jumped. Give me another.

The third and biggest event, until today, was The Harvest. In the apheresis unit in KU Med, I was set up in a recliner and tubes were hooked up to my catheter. (There are three tubes that come off my catheter called lumens. Learning is fun!) One tube (attached to the left-most lumen that I named "Newman") drew blood out into the apheresis machine, where it centrifuged it and sucked the stem cells out and into a bag above. Another tube (attached to the middle lumen I dubbed "Jake") ran the rest of my blood (plateletes, red blood cells) back into my body. The third tube ("Truman" the lumen) was attached to bags of calcium, which were pumped into me to ease the tingly sensation the process causes when it leeches your calcium out with the stem cells. I sat for 5 or 6 hours. I peed in a cute little hidden toilet under the sink. (Due to the whole "being attached to a huge machine" thing, I couldn't leave the room.) And by the end of the day, we had not only collected enough stem cells that I didn't have to come back and do anymore harvesting, but we actually got more than we needed! All in one sitting. Told you I was a champ!

Today is the beginning of the biggest hurdle yet. The first day of chemo. In transplant-speak, this is day -7. After today's 10 hour day at the clinic, I will come here twice a day everyday this week and receive chemo. (days "-6" through "-3", I believe.) This is the most brutal chemo I will have ever had. It will destroy me. (That's the point, after all.)

Day "0", Monday, March 14th, is my re-birthday. The day of my transplant, when my stem cells are pushed back into me. I will continue to take handfuls of pills and have bags attached to me for fluids and anti-nausea meds around the clock. We will wait for the cells to take effect. And when that happens, I will rise from the ashes, reborn, cancer-free. It will be a long recovery, but eventually, I will get less sick every day, stronger each week. I will come back from this stronger and wiser than before. It just might take a while. Note to future Sara: Be patient with yourself. You're a newborn, after all.


Well, here goes. I will update as frequently as possible, promise. I'm looking at a month of recovery in Kansas City. It's not so much a question of having the time to write, It's more about finding my mind.


Day 1 of the last chemo of my life. Let's do this.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Sara you have a beautiful gift with words (and spirit!). I'm sure you don't remember me, except for maybe a name from your Mom's past...but I was friends with your Mom and Dad when you guys lived in Hutchinson..it is wonderful to see what gifted and spirited women you and Laura have become.
    I am so glad to hear that things are progressing well. I know this is the hard part now, but you will do this well....as you once said (in the middle of Dillons, if I remember correctly) I am woaman hear me rohar, huh Mommy?!


    Keep on Roaring Sara!
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! Thanks for the kind words, Debi! You just made me grin, big time. :)

    - Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, your persona is like snowshine! I hope you, Jake, Neuman, and Truman are hitting it off good! Mary and I (Gary and Mary @ PT's, Almond Joy Mocha) think and talk about you daily. Keep your beautiful spirit, though at times it is hard as hell to do so. Reading your blog is like reading Kerouac in many ways! Continue to "Write for the world to read and see your exact pictures of it" because you truly are understanding your gift to the world. Continue being YOU!
    Gary&Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary! I've been thinking about you all the time lately! I hope you and Mary are doing alright. Thank you so much for your kind words. Love ya.

    -Sara

    ReplyDelete