Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Biopsy. For real this time.

The biopsy surgery has not yet happened. Let me explain.

I went to Tallgrass Surgical Center on Monday fully expecting to get my biopsy done right there is the an exam room. However, after some thorough palpitating, the doctor decided that since the node was rather deep in the tissue, he would rather do the surgery in an actual operating room with me completely out under general anesthetic to minimize movement. There are, as I guessed, a lot of important things going on in one's armpit. Many arteries and nerves and whatnot.

So I have my biopsy surgery tomorrow at 2:30 pm. I'm not very worried about it. A lot has changed about me in the last year and a half, and I'm constantly thankful for who I've become. Not too much fazes me. I guess once you've had poison pumped directly into your heart every two weeks for 8 months, had your blood drawn weekly, had radioactivity injected straight into your vein and had radiation directed at your bolted-down head and neck daily for a month, there's just not going to be much out there that truly freaks you out.

..with the exception of a stem cell transplant. I'm pretty nervous about all of that. But when I find my mind wandering into future worries, I just glance down at my hip, think of Jon, and remember: "One day at a time."

No comments:

Post a Comment