Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Being the change

My mother taught me to be consciously subversive instead of mindlessly indignant. To participate in a corrupt system in the hopes of either changing it or bringing it down, rather than simply giving up and walking away. Come to think of it, this idea is rather reminiscent of what she told me when I was a child regarding the purpose of the Bodhisattva: to willfully participate in the sorrows of the world, for the benefit of the unenlightened.

But there are broken systems, corrupt, horribly dysfunctional, poisonous systems which I know that I myself am not rich or influential enough to change or bring down within my lifetime; our healthcare system (with "non-profit" hospitals making millions of dollars off of the desperate and ailing masses  to fill billionaire CEO's pockets), our political system (run by shady lobbyists for the benefit of whoever has the most money to get their interests to be priority), and our education system (which teaches our children how to listen to the experts with quiet reverence, how to regurgitate "facts", how to disconnect at the ring of a bell, how to be good little consumers and service industry workers, how to follow the rules without question.) And that's just to name the big three.

But I've come to realize that I've found my own way to be truly subversive. What could be more damaging to the status quo than self sufficiency and valuing things that are not things? I am a stay at home mother who raises chicken and livestock for food, with plans of gardening and preserving her own fruits and vegetables come summer. This is the way I've found that I can make my positive difference, here and now, with what little I have: fighting consumerism, reinforcing the importance of self-reliance and responsibiltiy, and most importantly, raising my son, our future, to love life, nature, and family over the endless pursuit of wealth and possessions.

I know there are other small things one can to to change the world. Things that don't cost a cent. Speak up, in any way you can, against injustice. Smile at everyone you see. Be empathetic, always. Take time to be still and introspective, questioning your motives and goals.

But most importantly, to quote Kurt Vonnegut: "Damn it, you've got to be kind."

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say thank you for keeping your blog up. I'm facing a possible relapse and have been trying to find descriptions of the SCT process. I hope you are still doing very well!

    Kayla - www.owlyouneedishope.com (my cancer blog)

    ReplyDelete